WhatsApp chats are end-to-end encrypted, so all of your conversations and data are safe. If your friends and family members have added you to too many groups that are useless to you during the COVID-19 Corona-virus lock-down, you can hide those groups.
WhatsApp allows you to hide your chat without deleting it. The feature is known as archive chats. You can use the archive chat feature to hide an individual or group chat from your chats list to organize your conversations better.
Because the user has complete control over how archived chats function, the new update has made the feature even more helpful. When you archive a conversation, it is removed from the main screen. A chat is archived rather than deleted, and it can be unarchived at any time. This means you can remove a conversation from the WhatsApp Chat screen and return to it later if needed. If a user is a group chat member that they want to hide but does not want to leave, archived chats are the ideal solution. While WhatsApp recently added fingerprint authentication to its Android app and Touch ID and Face ID authentication to iPhones, there is no way to lock or hide a specific chat. Nonetheless, we can use Archive chat, a built-in feature to remove the conversation from the home screen. But how to unarchive whatsapp chat?
If you don’t know steps to unarchive a chat on Whatsapp using Android, iOS, web, or desktop, here’s a step-by-step guide you can use.
How to Unarchive Whatsapp Chat In Android?
- Scroll down to the bottom of all the chats on WhatsApp.
- You’ll notice an ‘Archived’ option. Click on this to view the chats you’ve saved.
- Now, long-press the chat you want to unarchive and select the ‘Unarchive chat’ button in the top right corner.
How to Unarchive Whatsapp Chat In iPhone?
- Navigate to the top of the chat list in the WhatsApp app on your iPhone.
- Now, pull down, and the ‘Archived Chats’ option will appear on the screen.
- Tap on the ‘Archived Chats’ option and right swipe on the chat you want to unarchive.
- Now, tap on ‘Unarchive.’
How to Unarchive a chat on Whatsapp using Web or Desktop?
Unarchived chats can be found using the search feature in both the WhatsApp Web and desktop apps. Please hover your mouse over the required chat when it appears. Look for the contact or group name from the archived conversation.
- On the right, a small down arrow will appear. Click on it. This will display a menu.
- Select Unarchive chat from the drop-down menu.
- To view all archived chats, click the three-dot icon at the top of the chats list.
- Choose Archived from the drop-down menu.
- Place your mouse pointer over the chat you want to return to the main chats list.
- Click the small down arrow in the chat’s upper right corner.
- Choose Unarchive chat from the menu that appears.
Alternative archive settings
Previously, the archive chats would automatically unarchive if there were new text messages. “We recall hearing that users prefer that their archived texts remain in the Archived Chats folder rather than being moved back into your main chat list when a new message arrives,” according to a WhatsApp statement.
Due to the new Archived Chats settings, any archived message thread will remain in the Archived Chats folder even if a text notification is sent to that thread due to the new Archived Chats settings.
To modify the default settings so that archived chats, unarchive when new messages arrive, and Archived does not appear at the top of your chats list:
- Tap More options > Settings in the CHATS tab.
- Select Chats.
- Turn off the option to keep chats archived.
It should be acknowledged that if you receive a message after you have archived the chat, the chat will be unarchived and visible in the chat list if you use the alternative archive settings listed above.
What Happens When a WhatsApp Chat Is Unarchived?
When you unarchive a chat from whatsapp, it will reappear in the list of WhatsApp chats. Please remember that the conversation will not appear at the top of the chats list but rather at its original position or the last message date. That is, if it is an old chat that you have unarchived, you may have to scroll down in your chat list to view it.
As previously stated, archiving does not affect your old messages. As a result, after unarchiving your messages, they will all appear in the chat.
Also, if you unarchive a chat on mobile, it will be unarchived on PC, and vice versa. The conversation does not need to be unarchived separately for mobile and desktop.